Our History

 

The Cowherd & Parrott Funeral Home was established in 1910 as the Cowherd Funeral Home, by Mr. J.C. Cowherd and his wife Louise Cabel Cowherd. They operated the funeral home with their daughter Florence Cowherd, until bad health forced them to seek someone else to come in and help them in 1945.

Mr. Cowherd contacted Walter L. Parrott from Campbellsville, who had just returned from his 4 year stint in the Navy & Marine Corp. during World War II, to come and be a part of the Cowherd Funeral Home.

Mr. Parrott came to Greensburg in 1945 and purchased half of the Cowherd Funeral Home, which then became the Cowherd & Parrott Funeral Home. He later purchased the rest of the funeral home.

Mr. Parrott's wife, Rose Houser Parrott, joined in the operation of the funeral home in 1957. Walter and Rose were co-owners, along with their son, Walter L. Parrott, Jr., until the death of Mr. Walter L. Parrott, Sr. on September 21, 2004. Mrs. Rose Parrott, passed away on September 18, 2016. The funeral home now is owned by their son, Walt Parrott, Jr., who is accompanied by his wife, Deana Coffey Parrott.

Many changes have been made in the building over the years. In 1966 a major change was made and a new chapel was added, along with improvements in the living area.

In 1990 a second office was added, along with modernizing the equipment. On December 15, 1999 a new showroom was added and we think it is less stressful on the families during a very stressful time. It was one of only two of its kind in the state and we are very proud to say that the families have all commented on how they like it much better and that it is much less intimidating.

Cowherd & Parrott Funeral Home, Inc.  |  206 South Main Street, Greensburg, Kentucky 42743   |   Phone: (270) 932-4271
© Cowherd & Parrott Funeral Home, Inc.  |   Funeral Home Website Design By Frazer Consultants